Monday, September 6, 2010

Bribes and TVP

LAWKI Day17

September 5, 2010


On the way into the Chapel for Sacrament Meeting, James pulled me aside saying he now had "bribe stuff". When I asked for clarification, he said that he had scammed the fluffy white bread that was leftover from filling the Sacrament Trays and then asked what he could get from me for it. (Obnoxious child, who raised you? Oh, wait, that was me.) After being rejected, he brought it home and made peanut butter jelly sandwiches and gave out slices to his siblings who were in his good graces. He swears it has nothing to do with him missing things due to LAWKI month, so I guess he thinks I am missing things more. Maybe he just read my earlier post on white bread.


I found my tortilla recipe! After church, I watched a YouTube video on making tortillas and tried the recipe she used. They worked very well, have a great taste and got approval from the family. I used them to make dinner, a version of my Beef Topped Bean Enchiladas. I put Taco TVP in the salsa sauce with mixed results. While it did not make a taste difference, the texture was weird. I think I would rather just try it without. I am now much more hesitant to try the other TVP recipes I have. Otherwise, it is a recipe I could keep in the food storage rotation, so long as we had grated cheese.


Here is the tortilla recipe:

3 ½ c flour

1 t. salt

½ t baking powder

½ c shortening, or 7-8 T oil (used shortening, but want to try oil sometime)

1 c hot water


Cut the shortening into the flour mixture, add hot water, and then knead for 3 minutes. Let the dough rest for 15 minutes. Divide into 16 balls, about golf ball size. Flatten into disk, dip in flour, and roll. Bake in a medium hot pan on stove, about one minute on each side. (With two pans cooking, you can roll one and put it to cook, roll another one and as you put it in, flip the other. When the next one is rolled, take the first one off.)


Now, does anyone have a good refried beans recipe? What about just baked beans… I have a good BBQ style beans recipe, but how do you make good black beans to just eat as a side dish? I can eat kidney beans just plain, but what else do you do with them? Anything kids might eventually get used to eating?


Breakfast: Fasting

Lunch: Fasting, some ate sandwiches, tortillas

Dinner: Bean Enchiladas, green beans, honeydew, tomato mozzarella cheese salad, squash


It was very sad to have the honeydew that we have saved until now be crunchy and not very good. It was also obnoxious how long it took to make the enchiladas when I had to make the tortillas first. Usually I can get this in the oven in about 20 minutes if I have cooked and frozen ground beef. This batch took about an hour and a half to get into the oven, even with both James and Katie's help.


We went to Michael’s brother’s house for games and fun after dinner. We took left over cake from Friday and ate plenty of yummy cereal bars and snacks there.

No comments: